Pages

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Cows graze, I graze...

I'm a self confessed grazer. Similar to a cow's eating habit, I spend all day long eating various items of food without much thought as to why I snack as often as I do. Realistically, if I had the means of using an oven or hob at work I would attempt to eat simply a hot meal for lunch with perhaps an item of fruit or two, but without such equipment I am left in the all-too-easy-to-gain-weight trapzone of that which is British packed lunch. 

I find it a daily uphill struggle to think of enough items to put together to constitute a sufficient lunch. Let me rephrase that; it's easy enough to throw any old easy ready made items together - i.e. the really unhealthy stuff - but not so easy to create not only a healthy lunchbox, but a filling one too. Because, let's face it, fruit doesn't keep you full for as long as you'd like it to. That crosses the apple diet off of my list.

I have found a happiness with Belvita's breakfast biscuits, as I find them a good mid-morning snack to see me through until lunch. These and cereal bars have become a staple in my office lunch, because they both contain fibre and release enough energy to curb and keep my hunger pangs at bay. Being the chef that I am though, I decided to attempt to make my own healthy cereal bars tonight. Nothing too fussy or over-adventurous for a first go, just simple, healthy, granola bars. And believe me, they are seriously good stuff. 

If you want to have a go at making them too, here's my recipe:

1 knifeful's scoop of butter (I use margarine - slightly healthier)
1/3 cup/mug of honey
1/2 cup/mug of brown sugar
3-4 cups/mugs of granola
1/2 cup/mug whole grain flour 

It's super easy. 
1. Mix the butter, honey and sugar in a pan and bring to the boil. Make sure you keep mixing it all though so that it doesn't burn. 
2. Then, mix the granola and flour in a separate bowl and pour in the boiled mixture. 
3. Mix it all together and spread the mixture onto a baking sheet flat in a large shape which you can cut into cereal bar shapes later on. 
4. Put it in the fridge to allow it to cool and set in to shape and cut into cereal bar shapes once cool.

Bon appetit everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment