Pages

Saturday 12 May 2012

Maybe? I don’t think so.


Have you ever had that moment of realisation of something, anything? I have. I was sitting as comfortably could be on a train when I received a message from someone. The details aren’t important in my point (in fact they would probably bore you) but in response to me asking that person a question they replied with a “maybe”. It got to me. That word, it’s so infuriating. It just lacks everything what a good word should have. Now I'm not saying I never use it myself, because it's such a common word. It's just how overused this term has become in certain situations. Maybe lacks affirmation, it’s almost as if if it were a person it would have commitment issues. We have become a society whereby it is considered OKAY to respond to an event invitation on Facebook with a ‘maybe’. I might turn up, but then again I might not. Let’s see if a better invite comes up. Some have no intention of telling these promoters or people if they are ever going to actually attend. Facebook is just providing us with what is now considered to be a need - to have the opportunity to dodge the answers people want to know. Everyone needs to stand up, shake themselves off and regain the confidence in the use of the word ‘yes’ and ‘no’. Don’t be afraid to say no if you don’t want to do something or go somewhere. I guarantee people won’t disown you. In fact I am sure they would have more respect for an honest, affirmative answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment