Pages

Sunday 27 May 2012

Work experience #2

So this Friday I finished my second work experience placement. This one was at an advertising agency called VCCP. They call themselves an 'integrated agency' which basically means they do every part of your campaign, not just TV ads but every aspect. So they're pretty neat for large companies who desire a 'have it all' type of campaign. 

On my first day I was given a tour of VCCP which proved insightful for reasons other than just navigating my way around the building. I was introduced to all the different offices, and sub-companies of the VCCP group. VCCP have many different smaller companies off of the VCCP name, for example, VCCP Blue. This agency was created when the company got quite large for clients with perhaps a smaller budget, or those who don't necessarily want an integrated campaign. This sub-company has created some seriously cool stuff though, for example the infamous Compare the Meerkat/Market and Coors Light campaign!

It was really interesting to see how large companies adapt so responsively to meet the demands of their broad client base. VCCP has covered itself in every section, so they never have to turn away a client regardless of their budget.

So my time there was spent on the accounts department. I had always assumed accounts = finance, but that definitely wasn't the case. In accounts teams you start on account management and work your way up the ladder. Accounts effectively means clients so, to do this job, you have to be uber organised and really good with speaking to clients. Basic outline: you get the request/brief from a client, you read it, make sense of it and discuss it with them to make sure you have it right. Then you pass it on to the planners who literally have to take this massive idea and filter it into one sentence which summarises everything the client wants in the campaign. This is then passed on to the creatives who dream up the magical stuff and voila, it's presented to the client and then the account manager liases with them about it. I thought it was really interesting to see how large companies segregate jobs and divide up roles.

The things I got involved with here included:
- sitting in on a filming shoot for a team building video
- an introduction to the (many, many) areas of planning
- research and spreadsheet compiling for upcoming pitches including O2 wallet, mobile phone tariffs, Tesco Bank and Tesco Mobile
- competitor reviews

My week there has definitely given me a lot to think about with regards to my career. It was an unforgettable experience and I hope to continue building my portfolio of work experience and sharing it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment